Roundway Hospital was established as the Wiltshire County Lunatic Asylum and opened in 1851. Forty-eight acres of land were purchased. The number of patients rose from 400 in 1860, to 1000 in 1916 and 1500 in 1945. After the second world war, new drugs and treatments enabled more patients to be treated in the community and closure came about in 1995.
Front: Aerial photo is by Ian Collis and shows its huge size.
Back: The nurse photo date to about 1915 and the patients entry postcard to 1900.