In 1615 the old Market House was rebuilt as the Wool and Yarn Market House and renamed the Old Hall from the late 18th century. The Town Council met there from 1735. In 1808 it was rebuilt to look as we see it today.
Front: The modern Devizes Town Hall in a postcard view dating to c 1900. The Town Hall was constructed in 1808 from the Old Hall shown on the back page.
Back: The oldest Old Hall image is on the 1759 Dore map bottom left. The front was open for a covered market including cheese, it was covered in by 1792. The old hall is in the drawing top left with the New Hall on Wine Street. The New Hall was built in 1752 and used briefly as a Town Hall during the building of the present Town Hall and later as depot for the militia. Top right shows the “new hall” today