Through trade began in 1801 with goods moved by a horse-drawn railway at Caen Hill. In 1810 the flight of 22 locks opened, but commercial traffic finished by 1921.
Front: The lovely misty sunrise is by canal boater Mike Downs.
Back: Devizes wharf in about 1900. The aerial photo shows the beautiful, engineering feat of Caen Hill locks and is courtesy of Ian Collis.